Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Another day, another activity for the kids. I always swore I would not put my kids in so many activities but it just happens! I have no idea how moms of more than two can do it all! I'm starting to realize that there really is no such thing as "recreation sports" for kids anymore. By the time they are seven or eight years old they are supposed to know what extracurricular activity they want to do for the rest of their lives! Seems like a very big decision for such young kids.

My almost eight year old loves dance, soccer, gymnastics and would love to try volleyball and softball. She has been on a competition dance team for two years now which has been great fun for both of us but its already getting too intense for me! I have no problems with her dancing during the school year but this year she is dancing twice a week in the summer as well. She is spending over 2 hours a week dancing during summer vacation. Add to that her in house soccer and she is tied up for quite a few evenings!

While I understand that times have changed, I miss the days of my youth when I spent the summer playing with the neighbor kids until the street lights came on. Play time is now a scheduled "date" with a friend and there is no such thing as a "pick up" basketball game. Maybe I am idealistic but if our lives weren't so busy maybe we wouldn;t have to schedule every minute of every day...

No comments:

Post a Comment